Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fishing Around Sanibel Island - The Late 1950s

In the summer of 1956 we went to Fort Myers Beach, Florida, in 1954 our Ford. He rode in the backseat with my brother 5 years. The trip took 2 days from central Indiana. Few had air conditioning in cars, including us. The four stayed at the Mar-O-side home in Fort Myers Beach. Again, no air conditioning, but we went fishing care.We Punta Rassa Fish Camp. Just opposite the fish camp was Sanibel Island. The island is served by two ferries, the rebel, and Yankee Clipper. Unlike the field of fish there was nothing to Punta Rassa. She felt as if it were rented out to Dad country.My one area of wooden boats and for use with its 10 hp Evinrude. My father told me today that he knew little about saltwater fish, but then we did some of the catches of fish in the live shrimp. For the most part, we spotted trout, and my mom had a small hammerhead shark. My brother and I had so much fun eating Cuban sandwiches and soft drinks as we did fishing.I remind the fish camp at night and being attacked by mosquitoes. We loaded the car and move to exit the error. We fished hard for a whole week. I do not remember a bad day of fishing in the 50s. We never did go ashore on the island of Sanibel, since there was no reason to. The island at that time there was nothing you know. The island then, as today is known for the field of fish had shelling.The pelican that was almost a pet. Stanley, the pelican was also boosted by the fisherman and those returning to the dock. Stanley was not afraid of people.I now lives in Delray Beach, Florida. I've been to Sanibel in 1999 and that changed everything. The island is now a bridge and is open to the public. Although I enjoyed my stay in the area is too crowded and too congested. On the site of the fish camp feel more condos. Fishing is not as good as it was in 1950 and early 60s. This is progress.Dr. Mike Copper retired U.S. Army in 1994. Dr. Copper has a Masters Degree in Data Communication and a Ph.D. in Computer Information Systems. Dr. Copper currently lives in Delray Beach, Florida. Can be reached at mcopper@bellsouth.net.

2 comments:

  1. Finally I found something useful to me. I have been looking for information on this particular topic for a lot of time now.Best Hotels in Dharamshala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a nice blog. It was very useful to me. Eagerly waiting for your future postings.Hotels in Dalhousie

    ReplyDelete