Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Supermarkets, Kimchi And Tea: Spending Time In Seoul, South Korea

Before talking more about Kimchi, and I am sure that most Koreans have looked at the contents of this book (before considering if this book is worth buying) Let's talk first talk about supermarkets in Korea. I always thought that the visit of a supermarket in a new country is a good way to get an initial picture of the new culture. Some things, such as yogurt, detergent and soft drinks may be more or less the same worldwide, but a walk through the meat section in Korea can be very different from meat section in England or America. Pig's head and the types of fish you've never seen before, for example, becomes evident. In the section of fruits and vegetables you see the fruits do not know you and a little 'of vegetables that do not recognize. All these new things not found in supermarkets in the country of origin, but are popular and part of the diet Korea.In Korea, Chinese medicine seems to be very popular and, consequently, supermarkets often stack traditional remedies, as deer antlers, which are believed to be capable of providing energy and strength. The first to see them, I thought it looked unappetizing, especially with them is cut into thin slices of blood. However, they are very popular as a remedy and also quite expensive. I tried a medicine containing extracts of deer antler, ginseng and other herbs and my taste does not quite agree with the taste, but I felt more energetic. But I think the way the taste made me almost jump out of my skin had something to do with the sudden burst of energy I have heard. I have the same feeling of drinking from a bottle of Soju! As some types of meat, Korean supermarkets often offer a wide selection of products such as tofu dubu '() and kimchi. "Tofu is available in many different types of Korea, usually depends on the consistency. Tofu tastes great in soups, especially in one of my favorite soups Sun-Dubu. I prefer the soft tofu of 'Sun-Dubu "instead of hard Dubu which is also experienced in soups - but without cutting into slices or small cubes, and specialty fried.The Korea, I expected to find everywhere and that the world is kimchi. Kimchi may be mentioned many times in this book, and is unavoidable. And "How to write a book about England without mentioning football, pubs and London, or write to America and not mention the 'word' B '- Bush or baseball, or write French and not talk about what they hate English-speaking visitors instead of French in their country.The importance of kimchi was evident as soon as I arrived in Korea. Not only is the object of this phenomenon in Korea and conversations in classes, but there are dozens of variations of Kimchi on display in many supermarkets. It soon became clear to my students that the kimchi is much more than food. It is a necessity. Passion. An essential ingredient of Korean culture! Many students told me it was like when they go abroad Miss Kimchi more than anything else. One student said there was still more to his family and friends when abroad.I learned after a few months in Korea, who thought that more than 100 different kinds of Kimchi and different types of Kimchi according Korean kimchi area. Cheju Island, for example, have haemul (seafood) Kimchi and Nabak (square cut radish). Kangwon Province has Chanran (fish paste and sliced radish) Kimchi and Ojingeo Mu-u (squid radish) Kimchi. Ch'ungch'ong Provinces have Gul Ggaktugi (oyster and sliced radishes) and Hobak (pumpkin) Kimchi Kimchi.I really like a lot and never hesitated to eat when this cabbage kimchi, garlic and chilli based foods on the table before me. Myeolchi My favorite is Kimchi - made from dried fish and seafood flavor strong. Many English teachers in Korea love. I could never eat breakfast good. Many people Anglo countries Myeolchi like Kimchi, but they do often, like other types of kimchi. The fact that many Koreans eat kimchi at every meal including breakfast shows the depth of passion for what is considered an addition to a sample national color treasure.In extraordinary number of varieties of Kimchi, ready-made specialties like pancakes Korea Korean cold glass paste, cooked vegetables and sautéed mushrooms can be found. A warning though! Beware of Koreans bread as things are not always as they seem. What looks like a normal loaf West, when you can bite into it, I leave you with a mouthful of cream. The center of the bread is often full of cream and may be a surprise first time because there

No comments:

Post a Comment